Gemcitabine plus pegylated liposomal doxorubicin in patients with advanced epithelial ovarian cancer resistant/refractory to platinum and/or taxanes. A HeCOG phase II study
AuthorSkarlos, Dimosthenis V.
Kalofonos, H. P.
Dimopoulos, M. A.
Razi, E. D.
Kosmidis, Paraskevas A.
Klouvas, G. D.
Google Scholar check
MetadataShow full item record
Background: A phase II study was conducted to evaluate the efficacy and toxicity of the combination of gemcitabine (GEM) and pegylated liposomal doxorubicin (PLD) in patients with platinum- and/or taxane-resistant/refractory advanced epithelial ovarian cancer (AEOC). Patients and Methods: Patients (pts), who had been treated with platinum or paclitaxel and met the criteria of resistant/refractory AEOC, received GEM 650 mg/m2 days 1 and 8 and PLD 25 mg/m2 day 1 every 4 weeks up to a total of 6 cycles, unless disease progression or adverse effects prohibited further therapy. Results: Thirty-seven patients entered the study. There was 1 complete (3%) and 7 partial responses (19%) for an overall response rate of 22%. Two patients had stable disease (5.5%). After a median follow-up of 16.2 months, the median survival was 8.4 months and time to treatment failure 2.7 months. The most frequent severe toxicity was myelosuppression recorded in 13 (35%) patients. Severe stomatitis was recorded in only 2 (5%) cases and severe palmar-plantar erythrodysesthesia in 1 patient. One severe allergic reaction (grade 4) to PLD was recorded following the third cycle of treatment. Conclusion: The combination of GEM and PLD in patients with AEOC, who are resistant/refractory to platinum and/or Taxanes, did not show any superiority over monotherapy. However, in view of the acceptable toxicity profile, the above combination may deserve further investigation in a randomised setting.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
«Juvenile» oncology - A missing subspecialty. The experience of a reference cancer centre Pentheroudakis, George; Mauri, D.; Kostadima, Lida; Golfinopoulos, Vassilis; Alexiou, G.; Karakatsanis, A.; Pavlidis, Nicholas (2006)Introduction: Despite unique tumor epidemiology and a higher cancer incidence compared to pediatric patients, adolescents and young adults have not been receiving specialized, multidisciplinary, centralized care. In an ...
Paclitaxel-carboplatin combination chemotherapy in advanced breast cancer: Accumulating evidence for synergy, efficacy, and safety Pentheroudakis, George; Razi, E. D.; Athanasiades, A.; Pavlidis, Nicholas; Fountzilas, George (2006)Patients with metastatic breast cancer receive multiple lines of cytotoxic chemotherapy, with taxane and anthracycline-based regimens being the most active. Anthracyclines carry the risk of significant cardiotoxicity at ...
Carcinoma of unknown primary (CUP) Pavlidis, Nicholas; Fizazi, K. (2009)Carcinoma of unknown primary (CUP) is one of the 10 most frequent cancers worldwide. It constitutes 3-5% of all human malignancies. Patients with CUP present with metastases without an established primary site. CUP manifests ...